Surgery Diary: What to pack for Day Surgery

 Before I went in for surgery, I was super stressed about what to take with me. Obviously the hospital give you a list, but beyond dressing gown and slippers there was zero guidance. After a little bit of googling, I came up with my own list which I thought I'd share here and hopefully it'll help you if you're going in for day surgery soon!



I split my list into 4 main sections - Toiletries, Comfort, Entertainment, and Hospital Essentials. I know it might seem a bit excessive, but if, like me, you end up being kept overnight, you'll be glad you packed everything! If you want a printable hospital packing list, I've attached one at the bottom of this post.

Hospital Essentials

These are the things I was told by the hospital I had to bring with me. I was told I needed a dressing gown and slippers, which I got on ASOS, but I also packed an old pair of fluffy slipper socks to keep my feet warm. I also put all of my medications together in a little tin and slipped that into my bag. Finally, you can't wear earrings into surgery so I put a pair of little huggie hoops into a box along with a compact mirror so I could put them back in after surgery. I really recommend taking huggie hoops with you if you have any as it eliminates the possibility of dropping an earring back on the floor and loosing it.


Toiletries

This was definitely the most important section, especially when having surgery during covid. I packed a travel bottle of hand sanitiser as well as a pack of Grab It Hand Cleansing Wipes from Waitrose, so I could make sure I was always as clean as possible. Honestly, looking beautiful was at the bottom of my priority list, but I still packed some face wipes, moisturiser, and lip balm, just so I could feel a little more human after surgery. I also packed a travel bottle of mouthwash. If you think you'll be able to stand and brush your teeth after surgery I would definitely recommend taking a toothbrush and toothpaste, but as I had surgery on my hip I was happy enough sitting in bed swishing mouthwash.


Comfort

Although I said the toiletries were the most important, this is a close second! Hospital is a pretty stressful and foreign place so anything that makes you feel a little bit more at home is great. Firstly, I packed a little ziplock bag of some of my favourite snacks which I then hid right at the bottom of my backpack. I was nil by mouth prior to surgery so didn't want to be tempted to eat them, but also wanted something I knew I liked to have when I woke up. Secondly, I packed my little teddy Jose. I know I'm an adult but I was very happy to have him while I was recovering from anaesthetic. Finally, I packed a comfy but reasonably presentable pair of pyjamas. I promise you will not feel like getting properly dressed after surgery so a pair of pyjamas you aren't embarrassed to be seen in are an essential!


Entertainment

When you go in for day surgery, you usually don't know your position on the list for that day so it's really important to bring enough stuff to keep you occupied and entertained. I made sure my phone, power bank, and headphones were all fully charged before I packed them. I also downloaded hours of films and television shows on Netflix and Disney+, trying to cater for anything I might feel like watching. I also packed a light reading book as well as a colouring book and pencils. I got my colouring book from WHSmiths and it definitely kept me sane.










Packing List




Comments

  1. I've had a bunch of surgeries and hospital stays, and for me, the most important things to bring are snacks and technology chargers. I have a bunch of foods I can't eat, so hospitals generally don't have a lot of options for me. So it's important that I bring my own snacks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Surgery Diary: 1 Month Post-Op

Post Lockdown Looks: Shacket Season